A roundup of links to other websites with news and articles we’ve found interesting in October 2012.
Missouri State Parks hosts informational meeting Oct. 20 at Stockton State Park
The public is invited to bring their ideas to an informational meeting on Saturday, Oct. 20 at Stockton State Park near Dadeville. Sponsored by Missouri State Parks, the meeting will begin at 4 p.m. at the park’s North Shelter, which is located at the north end of the park east of Highway 215.
Invasive Species Alert: ZOMBIES!
The Missouri Department of Conservation warns of our state’s newest invasive species threat–ZOMBIES!
While zombie management is largely left to the police, military and health agencies, conservation plays a role in protecting Missouri’s fish, forest and wildlife resources–and Missourians–from this invasive species. visit site
Controlling the scourge of invasive spotted knapweed
October 3, 2012
One of Missouri’s worst invaders is spotted knapweed (Centaurea stoebe micranthos), a plant species native to Europe and western Asia. Spotted knapweed has invaded millions of acres of pastures, fields, prairies and roadsides in 45 states since it was accidentally introduced in the United States through contaminated alfalfa and clover seed in the late 1800s.visit site
New Posts on Ozarks Walkabout
- Trail map: Hercules Glades Wilderness – October 1, 2012
- Busiek Day Hike – October 2, 2012
- Gear Review: GoLite Ultralite 800 Fill 1 season quilt – October 4, 2012
- Doing the dishes – October 4, 2012
- Getting Started: Hiking – October 5, 2012
- Speckled Kingsnake – October 6, 2012
- Midland Water Snake – October 6, 2012
- Copperhead Snake – October 6, 2012
- Photo gallery: North Fork River – October 6, 2012
- Trip Report: Bell Mountain Wilderness – March 2012 – October 8, 2012
- Gear Review: NeoAir All Season sleeping pad – October 10, 2012
- Trail Map: Bell Mountain Trail – October 13, 2012
- Glade Top Trail – Mark Twain National Forest – Taney County & Ozark County Missouri – October 19, 2012
- Hercules Glades Wilderness – Pees Hollow Trail Day Hike – October 23, 2012
- Selecting a sleeping bag (and what else will I need?) – October 1, 2012
- Photo gallery: Busiek State Forest and Wildlife Area – October 2, 2012
- Photo gallery: Sac River Trail – October 6, 2012
- Trail Map: Piney Creek Wilderness – October 18, 2012